Om Prakash Rajbhar, whose Suheldev Bharatiya Samaj Party ran alongside Akhilesh Yadav's Samajwadi Party in the Uttar Pradesh election, stated on Saturday that rumours of his meeting Amit Shah were "baseless."
The SBSP leader flatly denied travelling to Delhi and meeting with anyone. "I'm working on making candidates of the SP-alliance win in the local body elections," he told news agency ANI.
According to press reports on Friday, Rajbhar met with Shah and several key BJP leaders, fuelling talk of a possible alliance between the two parties.
"Those are old photographs. Someone can upload old images and say whatever they want about them "Today, Om Prakash Rajbhar made the following statement.
The buzz around Rajbhar, who sided with the BJP for the 2017 election and was appointed a minister, contradicts accusations he levelled at the ruling party earlier this week, in which he accused them of a tacit agreement with the Bahujan Samaj Party for 122 seats.
He said that candidates for seats in UP's Purvanchal area were chosen at the BJP headquarters, while symbols were assigned at the BSP headquarters. He claimed to have evidence to back up his remarks.
'BSP aur BJP ka male ho gaya, jo UP mein bada khel ho gaya,' says the politician. Candidates for 122 seats in Purvanchal were chosen at the BJP office and emblems were distributed at the BSP office "he stated
"I can back up my claims... The BSP and the Congress, both of which having been in office four times, backed the BJP. What happened to their votes?" He inquired.
Rajbhar's party won six constituencies in the recently ended election, in which the BJP swept to power for a second consecutive term despite gaining fewer seats than in 2017.