Civilian Evacuations: “Terror Threat Is Very High” ; UNSC Adopts Resolution

by GoNews Desk 10 months ago Views 1359

General McKenzie said that the “terror threat is very high. I am not going to minimize that” when asked about the safety of those Americans and Afghan civilians left behind in the Taliban-ruled country. However, he said that the U.S holds a “variety of leverage” over any future government in Kabul and now the military aspect of the situation would transition to diplomatic efforts by the State Department: “the diplomatic sequel will now begin”.

US Evacuation Civilians Afghanistan
The United Nations adopted a resolution on Monday, 30th August 2021 expressing the expectation on the Taliban to allow people to freely leave Afghanistan of their own will. The resolution came against the backdrop of the last United Sates military flight out of the HKZAI Airport in Kabul. The U.S. and its allies in the 20-year old war against the Taliban have assured, to various degrees, the safety and continued evacuation mechanisms for those civilians who have been left behind, including Afghan partners and those deemed “at risk”.

The United Nations Resolution on which China and Russia abstained, were passed wit 13 votes in favour and none against. The resolution was drafted by France, United Kingdom, and the United States.  It was adopted under the presidency of India, which ends in the month of August.


The Resolution referred to the Taliban’s statement on August 27 in which it committed to allow foreign travel to Afghans, and the departure of those who wish to leave, including Afghans and foreigners. It also obliges Afghanistan "not be used to threaten or attack any country or to shelter or train terrorists, or to plan or to finance terrorist acts."

There has been domestic and international attention focused on the deteriorating security situation in Afghanistan, particularly for those who will have to leave without the presence of U.S. or allied troops on ground. A working relationship with the Taliban has emerged as the only viable alternative.

General McKenzie said that the “terror threat is very high. I am not going to minimize that” when asked about the safety of those Americans and Afghan civilians left behind in the Taliban-ruled country. However, he said that the U.S holds a “variety of leverage” over any future government in Kabul and now the military aspect of the situation would transition to diplomatic efforts by the State Department: “the diplomatic sequel will now begin”.  

He said that on an average, 7500 civilians had been evacuated per day, totaling more than 123,000 in the largest non-combatant evacuation mission in U.S. military history. The United States would “negotiate very hard, very aggressively” to secure the interests of its citizens and partners.

Regarding the Taliban acquiring military equipment and weaponry left behind by the U.S., the General said that 70 MRAPS, 27 Humvees, and 73 aircraft had been demilitarized and were no longer operable. White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki also stated to journalists that the United States will honour its commitment to all those who assisted them in their military mission and now wish to leave. She said that “urgent conversations” are underway with regional and international partners about continuing to get Afghan civilians out of Kabul. The United States is “currently working with a range of partners in the region” to ensure that the HKZAI Airport and regional airport are kept open and functional.

Regarding reports of American University if Afghanistan students not being able to make it to the evacuation flights, she responded by rejecting claims that the US handed over details and documents of those students to the Taliban. She said that in special, “limited cases”, there have been instances wherein “we have had to coordinate and provide details to the Taliban”

 

Latest Videos

Latest Videos

Facebook Feed